|Amman Citadel Inscription|
[Return to Index]
Dated to about 1000 BCE and written in the Amonite language, another sister language to Hebrew.
Middle Semitic Script
Bruce and Kenneth Zuckerman
Date of Inscription:
c. 1000 BCE
Location of Discovery:
Amman, Jordan (ancient Rabbath-Ammon)
Date of Discovery:
1. [. . . Mi]lkom, he has constructed for you the precinct entrances [. . .]
2. [. . .]that all who threaten you shall surely die [. . .]
3. [. . .] I shall surely destroy, and all who enter [. . .]
4. [. . .] and amidst all its columns the just shall reside [. . .]
5. [. . .] there will hang from its doors an ornament[. . .]
6. [. . .] will be offered within its portico
7. [. . .]? ? ?
8. [. . .]peace to you and pe[ace . . .]
(Translation by Fulco, William J., S.J.